19 April 2014 16:37

News
Twitter RSS Newsletter Send to a friend

Maudsley launches HealthVault-based PHR

15 May 2012   Rebecca Todd

Maudsley Hospital

South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust is today launching personal online health records for its patients, using Microsoft’s HealthVault platform.

Director of information strategy, Mike Denis, presented on the MyHealthBox project at the Health+In4matics conference in Birmingham last week.

He told attendees the project was a partnership between the trust, the Institute of Psychiatry and service users. It aims to improve patients’ engagement in their care and the use of outcome measurements across the trust.

Although the formal launch is today, the records have already gone live with five clinical teams – three psychosis and two child and adolescent - and two GP practices.

Clinicians offer access to patients who, if they agree, are given a password to log-in and create an account.

The information that feeds into the record is decided by clinicians and patients. Clinicians will not be able to see the record unless the patient chooses to show it to them.

“We have made it clear that [clinicians in the teams going live] must be committed to adapting service models and personal behaviours to facilitate those new relationships,” Denis explained.

“This is not just giving view access - that’s not empowering enough - we want to take this to the next level. We’re hoping that patients will be able to become co-producers/designers of their care.”

South London and Maudsley is the largest mental health service in Europe, with 35,000 active patients. The teams involved in the records project so far cover about 1,000 patients, but the project is still in very early days and only a few have signed up.

Despite this – and the poor uptake of the national HealthSpace organiser, that was supposed to give all patients access to their Summary Care Record – Denis said the system was service user-led and that patient engagement had showed this was something they wanted.

HealthVault is a platform for holding health information, allowing users to decide who to share it with, and developing apps and services.

South London and Maudsley’s personal health record can draw information from the trust’s own Electronic Patient Journey System, which was developed with Strand Technology, which became an approved Health Vault partner for the project.

It can also draw information from EMIS GP systems. Denis said this would facilitate better care planning between primary and secondary care.

The core of MyHealthBox is an application that patients can use to access information about their condition and service pathways available to them. The trust is also working with Get Real Consulting to build apps around this, such as mood diaries.

The trust is using charity funding to provide technology support and training to patients who want it.

“The process of development will continue through the course of the pilot and we’ll be conducting an independent evaluation probably through the King’s Fund and the Institute of Psychiatry,” Denis added.

“The model is very much intended to be not just sustainable but scalable. We’re looking to introduce other partners into the model over the next six months, for example King’s College Hospital and Guy’s and St Thomas’.”

Denis told eHealth Insider that access to personal health records was open to all patients, unless there were issues around mental capacity.

“We chose children because they have absolutely grown up with technology. We wanted to broaden the experience, so we chose them deliberately.”

He argued that if this kind of development could be done in a mental health service, it could be done in any kind of health service.

Read more about the launch - and how it dovetails with the NHS information strategy - in the Insight feature, 'Living in a box'.

EHI Intelligence Profile
EHI Intelligence

Related Articles:

6 News: Maudsley builds PHR on HealthVault | 26 May 2011
Last updated: 16 May 2012 16:47

© 2012 EHealth Media.

I have my medical records on line

davesandbach 100 weeks ago

I am a former NHS COE and I have my GP, Hospital, dental and ophthalmic records plus data I collect weekly e.g. BP on line using Health Vault as the storage mechanism.

I also have my advanced directive and a decision support facility in the records. (Just in case)

If I had a Social Care record held by council that would be included in the online care record.

The era of personalised integrated care has arrived %u213 oddly enough the integration is controlled by the Citizen not the silo constricted servants of the state e.g. doctors and nurses etc. T

There are lots of benefits for me, my carer and the professionals who have the privilege of delivering my personalised care package.

One reason above all which is an incentive for Citizens to have such a facility is self preservation and personal safety.

%u21CAs doctors, all of us have awareness of harm done to our own patient or a colleague's because information was not shared with others involved in their care. The reluctance to share appears particularly strong across the boundaries of health and social care organisations, including independent sector providers.%u21D

Dame Fiona Caldicott | 27th April 2012 Source: Pulse today.

Making a online record easy and cost nothing thanks to Health Vault UK.

I would recommend that readers of eHealth insider join with me and open their own online record facility. Let me know if you need any help or advice.

1 Reply

Likes:
My EHI score:
Reward badges:

How?

NeilB 100 weeks ago

Dave,

How did you get your GP records into Healthvault?

Did you have to enter the data manually?

Neil

My EHI score:
213
Reward badges:

GP records into Health Vault

davesandbach 99 weeks ago

Dear Neil,

I have prepared a paper saying how to put GP records etc into health vault. Please email me for a copy at Shropshirecares.aol.com

This comment is:

Email address:

Post

davesandbach
Expertise:
Health manager
Sector:
Other
Approved posts:
Likes:
My EHI score:
Reward badges:

Gathering pace and a ton of money

belt n braces 100 weeks ago

Interesting, there are two patient portal stories on the front page of EHI and a search for Healthvault in the UK throws up a million pound investment from a Formula One boss in yet another solution that I hadn't even heard of.

These developments do seem at odds with Dame Fiona Caldicott's recent assessment however. One to watch and good luck to Maudsley - getting GP systems to talk to Microsoft as they have done here is pretty big news given the issues over the years with the SCR etc.,.

This comment is:

Approved posts:
Likes:
My EHI score:
Reward badges:

Patient Value

Happy Wonderer 100 weeks ago

I see why this is important to clinicians, but I always fail to see why patients would see any real benefit in this. The likes of Microsoft have found out through the lack of interest in their solutions that other than a passing interest in checking what is in their record, patients do not see much value in this. I must be missing something here. What's the real use to patients?

1 Reply

This comment is:

Email address:

Post

Happy Wonderer
Expertise:
Health manager
Sector:
Public sector
Approved posts:
Likes:
My EHI score:
Reward badges:

Long term conditions with ongoing monitoring

stan 10 100 weeks ago

Fortunately I don't have a long term condition at the moment but if I did, with ongoing daily or weekly monitoring of vital signs and symptoms, then I think it would be really helpful to keep up to date with that, look at the history and where possible add data myself from home rather than having to have some kind of clinician appointment. So I think that there is real value when it has this focus like in Mental Health rather perhaps than a short term illness.

1 Reply

Approved posts:
Likes:
My EHI score:
Reward badges:

Family and Friends

CertaCitrus 100 weeks ago

I think these portals will become most useful when sharing and confidentiality are applied to portals, allowing family/friends who also act as carers to view appropriate elements of records.

This comment is:

Likes:
My EHI score:
383
Reward badges:

the way forward

E. L. Wistey 100 weeks ago

I think this is just about the most hopeful and forward looking idea I have heard in NHS IT ever.

Well done to Mike and the team. I hope it works

This comment is: